There are many different types of massage available these days but a remedial massage is the only one that is covered by health insurance extras and is proven to have many health benefits. We are not saying that other types of massage are not beneficial, but remedial massage benefits are proven.
A remedial massage therapy should assess and treat the muscles, tendons, ligaments and other connective tissues to relieve pain and provide improved rehabilitation from injury. The aim is to treat the original cause of pain or injury and can include deep tissue massage, trigger point release, joint mobilisation, myofascial massage and more.
Remedial Massage Benefits
Here is a list of the many positive effects gained by a remedial massage, beyond relaxation:
- Reduced Muscle Tension
- Better circulation especially to the extremities
- Pain relief
- Increased flexibility and joint movement
- Decreased cortisol levels
- Boost flow in the lymph system
- Reduced anxiety
- Reduction of stress hormones
- Improved skin tone
There are many other benefits that patients report from a professional remedial massage but this is already a strong list of benefits. A qualified remedial massage therapist has spent many hours of training to become certified. This provides peace of mind that the massage therapist can help you get the most out of your massage. This is particularly important if you have acute pain that you are seeking relief for.
If you have muscular pain or joint pain, it is important to speak with your remedial massage therapist before the massage. Answering as many questions in a complete way on your consultation form will also help you to get the most benefit while minimising any risks.
Objectives Of A Remedial Massage
The two main objectives of a remedial massage are to :
- Release pain from muscular trigger points. This pain is caused by bunched muscle fibres and connective tissues that have failed to let go. Massage therapy can help with this.
- Reduce pain from joints or the skeletal system. This often occurs due to repetitive movements such as sitting at a computer, playing sports, driving a car and other activities. There are often mobility issues or complications from opposing muscles.
Remedial massage can also form part of a pain management plan during rehabilitation from injury.
At Radius Osteopathic Clinic, we provide remedial massage services along with Osteo for sports, paediatric and pregnancy. We also specialise in Myotherapy and Acupuncture.
If you want an effective massage that can help alleviate pain, then contact us for more information about our remedial massage treatments today.